Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:32 pm

Thanks to Dubious for catching this o­ne, and to [Z]Mòó§ë for letting him know, he let some of us know earlier o­n IRC that there was a problem, and now they have a solution. the problem is that, to the best of my understanding, someone oir something is using UT and UT2003 servers to launch DDos attacks. Dubious then went o­n to let us know that all the UT servers should be upgraded from v436 to v451 (and chainge some ini settings, it explains how/what), and all the ut2003 servers should have v2225 patch. click here to read the whole thread.  Click here to get the v451 patch, and click here to get the v2225 patch.
one last thing. i dont think the Players have to get the v451 patch for UT, just the servers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:29 pm

Well, a closer reading of the Prounreal forum reveals that there "may" be different spin on this new attack. Either this is the same old attack that we knew about ...well forever...it's been a part of UT since the beginning, but people just didn't exploit it (although Epic knew about this problem), OR...this is a new but similar type of attack.

The Old Attack is fixed by updating the server to the UT 451 Engine, it is unclear whether this is the old attack or a new one. Although if the complete Master Server List is being affected, then many of those are 451 servers and that means this is a New Attack and updating to 451 will Not fix the problem.

I think the problem is not fixed for either UT or UT2k3 servers.

DonutHunter

P.S. There is pretty strong support for the fact that if you have a 436 client and connect to a 451 server...you will get a bit of lag. 451 server to 451 client..is better than the old 436 to 436. 451 clients can not connect to less than PureRC6c...so that can be a problem for some. If you make the upgrade to 451...Back-up your UT completely first.

View next topic
View previous topic