Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:53 pm

Do you remember the rumour that came up, about games being made as Nvidia or ATi o­nly games, a month before E3? The rumour was apparently a april fools joke and everyone stopped talking about it. Today , I found an article at X-bit labs that was very interesting and you start to think twice about the rumour. Apparently there is some kind of trouble with Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing in Half Life 2 but there is a slight possibility that it can be solved for the ATI Radeon 9500-, 9600-, 9700- and 9800-series. According to Valve,  there are practically no chances to find a workaround for the Nvidia GeForce and GeForce FX series. If you want to see what itīs all about, you can go here for the article. I wonder why Half Life 2 was shown with ATIīs products at E3 ?  
Rocket_Magnet
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:35 pm

i doubt it very very much tbh.... hl2 the biggest game in years... only work properly with ATi cards? it'd be shooting yoruself in the foot... nvidia would go absolutely mad... and would string valve up by the balls!
-dp-
UO Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:27 pm

Well they(Valve) wrote about it and it would be very stupid to write something like that if it wasnīt true !

-dp-
Hammer
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:25 pm

GameSpy: Is Half-Life 2 going to be the type of game that is really going to be pushing system requirements? Should the major computer manufacturers expect a bump in sales when the game ships, just because people will be upgrading their machines?

Doug Lombardi (Valve's director of marketing): I will sound arrogant as hell if I say yes! But I think that Valve tries very hard to support as far back with system as we humanly can, and in this case we're going back to a Pentium II 800 with 128 of RAM, but as get up to a Pentium 4 class you'll see better water and better effects. For folks who want the ultimate experience, they'll want the latest ATI card, and the fastest processor available from AMD or Intel.

No reference to nvidia whatsoever

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:52 pm

Thanks for that one Hammer !

-dp-
EnisDonKing
Spamming Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:12 pm

its a bit hard to say "HL2 on ATI`s VGAs only" because it will work well even on nVidia`s card for sure.. it wouldn`t have much sense to relase the game which would be playable just on ATI cards since there are 2 many nVidia users out there... but, it is highly possible that Valve could relase some **sponsored** (first) HL 2 - ATI only demo just like Epic did with old UT only for 3dfx.. Remember that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:49 pm

maybe so... but ot could be commercial suicide... nvidia put a hell of a lot more money into game sponsoring than ati do..... that why a lot of game have the nvidia: the way its meant to be played at the beginning
Plumb_Drumb
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:35 am

Its only AA dudes.

Still, that's pretty lame, and it will probably be the only game with this problem. Rolling Eyes
I find it unacceptable really, but whatever.
Hammer
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:01 pm

You guys are gonna love this:

Quote:
DEVELOPERS AT the Meltdown Microsoft DirectX conference heard Nvidia make an interesting comment about its drivers.
One of the developers using FX 5900 hardware for an upcoming title tested the new shaders 2.0 and made a comment that he'd had problems with them.

Apparently, some shaders 2.0 simply do not work making Nvidia's claim that this card is DirectX 9 hardware puzzling, as Pixel Shader 2.0 is one of the essences of DX 9.

Subsequently, Nvidia staff at the conference agreed the shaders are not feeling very well, and that the recent drivers are quite buggy. But hey! They run Quake, UT and 3Dmark just fine.

We are sure that this carelessly honest Nvidia boy will be decapitated for this statement but we are sure that this will brought much more attention to making things work in future revisions.

As you might expect, there are not many ways to test these shaders as DirectX 9 games are still far away in the future. Ironically, the same shaders run just fine in ATI Radeon 9800 class hardware.

I found this at Neowin

View next topic
View previous topic