Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Mapping
Poll

How many UO members are mappers or planning on building maps?
ME!!
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Been thinking about it....
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Maybe after checking out the tutorials.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Do I look like I have time to map levels??
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:24 am

Just curious.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:14 am

iv treyd some in UT2k3.. i might try some more now.. prety cool with the vehicles..
it used to be fun, make a simpel map, play around online on my own server with friends, and build a new one for next weekend.. but i cnat host my own server anymore couse of router Mad
would be realy cool now we have vehicles, i got some awsome ideas for stunt maps Exclamation

<Rachel> Razz
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:05 am

Sorry to hear about your router. My router will allow me to open the ports up for full access to a single machine and so I use that to enable game server then lock it back down when I'm done. It's not as flexible as I'd like, but at least I can make it work.

Maybe take a rela close look at the config settings and see if there's a way to set up an address for a server or maybe port-forwarding.

Which router do you have?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:46 am

Homercidal wrote:
Sorry to hear about your router. My router will allow me to open the ports up for full access to a single machine and so I use that to enable game server then lock it back down when I'm done. It's not as flexible as I'd like, but at least I can make it work.

Maybe take a rela close look at the config settings and see if there's a way to set up an address for a server or maybe port-forwarding.

Which router do you have?

how does me open port? and what does it do? do i need to disable my firewall for it??? explain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:52 am

hmm, opening a port depends per router. i didnet find out how to get my ports open.. should be on options.
if you put the IP adres in your web browser you get to the settings.

the firewall on the router goes same.. search in manual.

if you open a port, your basicly opening a door on your PC, you have many many doors, all are closed by defealt i think, if theyr closed its the safest, no hackers etc. but if you open it you basicly open a door for other people to come in. course this door has security guards, and sentive laser beams etc. but you still open a door to the outside world. so im not saying theres no danger in it. be carefull.

im probably wrong tho what i all sayed here.. so someone correct me if im wrong.

<Rachel> Razz
Enock
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:29 pm

Level designing is tough, but rewarding in the end when a map turns out better than you expected. When I first started using UnrealEd when the original UT came out, I had alot of problems with designing. First I didn't know the editor, and second I didn't plan anything out.
To mappers that are just starting out, the key in making your design quickly and without little mistake is GRID PAPER.
I have found grid paper is the key in making a solid map. Planning designs in the so called TOP VIEW and FRONT work good.
Also just drawing out some StaticMeshes or single parts of your map work to your advantage.
Do you think the great people at Epic games just jump right into the editor and pump out a map.
I highly doubt it, they have a plan and even all their demensions (Sizes of objects etc.) worked out so they know what the heck their doing.
If your going into the new UT-04' read up on some basic things you'll need to know about the editor. There's package saving, which if you don't save a certain package when you end the program you'll get errors. At least for me and all my friends, so don't learn the hardway, learn the basics first, so when you have worked hrs and hrs on your map, everything works fine.

Lengthy I know,

thanks enock>
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:27 pm

Port vary by router. The router I had at a former workplace allowed me to lock down all ports then open only those I needed, like port 80, 25, etc.

It would allow me to send packets from an incoming port number, to another machine on the same port number. Handy for routing to servers or things.

Example: Incoming: 205.35.45.125:5536 (router's internet address) gets routed to 172.16.1.10:5536 (game computer using private IP address).

That router had options for incoming and outgoing on both LAN and WAN ports so you could tweak your settings fairly well. I think most Cisco routers allow that much control and more, like build access lists and block specific IP addresses and whatnot.

The router I have at home doesn't apparently allow for port forwarding, but I can at least lock out ports. You could build a linux computer from spare parts and use firewall software that will allow a full range of options.

As far as how to do it, you may have to look it up in the manual cause they are different and I haven't looked that hard on my router to memorize it all.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:39 pm

my router supports all that to, tho i dont know what it does, so i dont use it. but i can do it Very Happy

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic