Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Mods
ichiban
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:09 pm

I'm going through the 3dbuzz tutorials from DVD 2 but have yet to come across info on the subject.

Let's say I want to create the Empire State building or a sports stadium and I have the real world geometry available in ft, meters, etc.. Is there a tool in Unreal Editor 3 to convert real world geometry into Unreal world scale?

So far I've been using Xpawn and creating many Juggs but I don't know their height nor shoe size to help walk out the height and lengths.

I don't need a tool, just an idea of how many Unreal Editor 3 units are equivalent to some real world unit such as feet, meters, etc..

Thanks!
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:02 am

you probably already tryed this,
but put in a juggernout, xpawn. and make a cube his height. see what that cube has for height, and say thats about 170 cm. so if the cube is 256 height, say 300 UEunits is 2 Meters..
just a thought...

<Rachel> Razz
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:02 am

actually there is a conversion system available somewhere... i'll get ahold of Angelmapper and see if she knows the proper conversions... but cheetah i think your pretty close...

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:53 pm

AFFCOURSE I AM!!
did you ever doubt me then?
Razz

<Rachel> Razz
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:36 pm

ahem.....

ALWAYS!!!

Razz

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:28 pm

i got 1 command for you mister!
Code:
/slap

<Rachel> Razz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:27 pm

I would like to be exact and not close if possible.

Btw, is there an EASY way to see the dimensional units of a non-constructor brush like a subtraction brush or addition brush? Looking at their properties does not reveal the height units, width units, etc..

One non-easy way is to modify the constructor brush dimensions until it matches the other brush. Is it possible to take the other brush and revert it back to a constructor brush by not using undo?

Ofcoarse if that is possible, the correct dimensions may not show up when right-clicking on the geometric constructor button. I know this because I had a constructor brush left over from an earlier days work that kept it's geometric shape but right-clicking on the geometric constructor button showed the default dimensions.
ichiban
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:30 pm

I would like to be exact and not close if possible.

Btw, is there an EASY way to see the dimensional units of a non-constructor brush like a subtraction brush or addition brush? Looking at their properties does not reveal the height units, width units, etc..

One non-easy way is to modify the constructor brush dimensions until it matches the other brush. Is it possible to take the other brush and revert it back to a constructor brush by not using undo?

Ofcoarse if that is possible, the correct dimensions may not show up when right-clicking on the geometric constructor button. I know this because I had a constructor brush left over from an earlier days work that kept it's geometric shape but right-clicking on the geometric constructor button showed the default dimensions.

ichiban
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:12 pm

if i remember correctly.... if you right click on the "cube" button will get the width, height, and depth settings the virtual brush... (thats what i call the red box) then you can specify the settings before you hit the add/subtract button.

Smile

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:15 am

good going in double posting..

try this:
make a few different cubes, diff sizes.
go in game, and see whats the same height as you are..
now you dont know how tall you are, but you can get the mezurements right.. i think..

<Rachel> Razz
ichiban
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:44 pm

Found the following from some other sites...

one persons input:
96 units (6 feet)
64 units (4 feet)
16 units = 1 foot
---------------------

another persons input:
256 units = 487.68cm = 16 feet
1 meter = 52.5 units
1 foot = 16 units
1 unit = .75 inches
-------------------------------------

a third persons input:
for all horizontal measurements
1 meter = 70 units
for all vertical measurements
1 meter = 60 units

The important thing is the ratio of horizontal to vertical. You must decide what you will use for one and use the ratio to calculate the other. This is because when your design is complete you can scale the whole thing to match reality but cannot change that ratio without redoing the entire map.
---------------------------------------

I like the point made about the ratio and believe there may be truth to it. My initial building, when using the same number of units both horizontally and vertically, resulted in being out of proportion compared to diagrams I found in books.

ichiban

View next topic
View previous topic