Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
Stinger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:42 pm

im building a new computer and need to ge the vid card and was wondering what you guys recommend.......i got and athlon 64 3000, asus mobo 512 ddr400 ram

im open to any video card suggestions i wanna stay under $150.....i think it has come down to either:

ati radeon 9600xt 256 ram

or

radeon 9800 128mb.....

what do you guys think?

also the readeon 9800 SE is cheaper but i know it is almost a faulty card or something right?

thanks for the help
Burgess
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:07 pm

I have a 9800 pro 128mb and it is the best card I have ever owned. I paid 200 several months ago so it is probably cheaper now. My two year old machine runs Half Life 2 really well at 1024x768 all details set to high. Of course it runs UT2004 even better. I would not purchase either the 9600xt or the SE since you will get more value out of the 9800 pro. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:27 am

Just a clarification burress.....im looking at the 9800 not the pro model....i know there is the diff of 128bit compared to 256 but the price diff is considerbale....anyone think the diff is that much worht the extra price?...

also ive come accross a lot of website sellin gthe sapphire atlantis 9800 which says in (pro replacement) or something liek that.......what is this?....jsut the basic 9800? why do they have the pro replacement there in parenthesis

website --> http://store.bestbargainpc.com/saatira98vic.html

thanks for the help
Burgess
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:17 am

That sure is an awfully nice system to be that GPU bound. Just think you spent all that time and money building a nice gaming rig and now you want to stick a submid range card in it. I would still recommend the pro since it was a top of the line gaming card for hardcore gamers. With it you will get lots of value out of that $200 or less. Whatever you do good luck and make sure to check out:

http://www.anandtech.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/

for reviews and benchmarks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:55 pm

yah i'm thinkin that too burgess....

TBH i think you should save up for another month, and then splurge on yourself and get an ATI x800. For 2 reasons....

1: you WILL be getting it PCI Express (if you dont your kinda not future proofing yourself and screwing yourself in the long run)

2: It comes with FACTORY/MANUFACTURER CERTIFIED OVERCLOCKING SOFTWARE (covered under warranty and everything)

that right there was worth the jump for me. allso another reason is that when your showing off your kickass rig to your friends and they ask what vid card you have in it you dont want to say a Radeon 9600 pro (honest to god, if you say Athalon 64 3000+ and Radeon 9600xt in the same sentance talking about one computer they WILL laugh in your face.)

Also another reason.... i have the card myself, and i absolutely love it... I am getting at least 89 frames in ALL of the maps i play (I played Halo with it and got 67). If you have the cash, and definately want to make your friends drool go with that card. even if you have to save up for another few weeks (i saved up for an entire month to get it and 2gb of ddr mem)

but if you forced me to choose between those two... i would say the 9600, but go with sapphire as the manufacturer... i hear they offer OC'ing tech under warranty for that card also... but dont quote me on that (i hear a lot of things)

View next topic
View previous topic