Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Burgess
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:17 pm

TeamXbox conducted their 5th Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict developer diary with Michael Capps, President of Epic Games. Good news is abundant is this, I would assume, last diary before retail:
Quote:

So half our dev team is in the lounge, crowded around the TV. The other half is frantically putting together a version of the game for magazines to review. We were all set to ship it, and we found a little tiny bug where all of our levels have gone from 5 seconds to load, to oh, about 5 minutes. It turns out that people don't like that... So all the programmers are running around frantic trying to solve the problem, and the smartest thing for me to do was hide in my office and work on this latest diary entry.

The main focus of this dairy is on Raiden and his Mortal Kombat tie in. Mr. Capps also let us know who was cut from the Unreal Championship 2:

Quote:
When we moved the product over to Midway, we were in the midst of arguing about a character that we didn't think was interesting enough to be a primary playable character. (The character was corrosion, by the way; we made him a non-playable bot.) I remember us sitting around thinking the Midway deal was great news, because (1) now we wouldn't get assassinated by Midway ninjas for doing fatalities, and (2) it would be so awesome if we could use a MK character in the game.

Aww poor Corrosion. They also cover how Epic was already working with Fatalities before the Midway deal.
Quote:

Of course, now that we have a stunned enemy in front of you, you've got to have an instant kill maneuver. We're big fans of Mortal Kombat, and so that was our first thought -- how do we do a 'fatality', but do it in the middle of an arena with 8 guys running around shooting each other? And we wanted it to be special to pull off a finishing move, not just a button press. And we couldn't call it a fatality ... so we called it a coup de grace.

This dairy is a good read and helps quench my thirst until Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflicts's eventual gone gold announcement. I just need to russle up some cash so I can obtain a Xbox Live preorder demo.

Unreal Championship 2: Developer Diary #5

View next topic
View previous topic