Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Hollow Moon
Moz
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Looks great. Though I really don't like the idea of no audio effects. Audio is important for feedback to the player on the surroundings. Being virtually silent enviroment compared to being deaf person effects things. In a vaccum their is no noise, but firing sounds, impacts and hurt sounds give feedback to the player to whats going on. What about having all the sounds kind of muffled?

Looking pretty awesome though.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:01 pm

I know the importance of sound in the level, and also know that being deft is hard [now i'm touching social isue here].

Btw, i want to brake this rule of "you must have sound and color" well i do it in delicate way so people still can play it.

I have many reasons to use no sound and color. for example mute cinema is one of the things that inspired me, no color also used in photography ande cinema up to our days not only to show some "old" times feel but to distinquish the ligth and shadow system. i also know some people who see no colors or cannot hear. well ofcourse i don't plan to make game for blind but here i have more then one reason.

also i have one common goal - to bring depressing very particular mood. and i dont mean like people say depresing meaning just "sad" no, those who had depression know the feel Wink and its unique feel, i guess the game that had it best was duke3d Very Happy well allso quake Very Happy i even know why [a litle psychological research] but i won't get into this to much Smile
the thing is that i want the player to feel he is on the moon, and make it spooky not horror or scary but spooky like, surealistically unplesent Smile so no sound and enemies in spacesuits with glowing projector, and all in black and white, with piano and opra music around [ups i mentione the suprise]. anyway its not regular game Smile atleast visualy. i had hollow moon in color at first and it was not the feel i wanted... then sound kept bugging me, it was cool and added to the atmospare but damn there is no atmosphare on the moon so not like in UNDYING game where the sound built the whole atmoshpere. here it just fits to have no sfx. i test everything before actualy desiding.

Well i hope people understand this, it's sort of experiment.

Maybe it will not work out very well but i can essure that it plays quite fine and that you will get unplesent feelin, scared and emerged. 100% Smile the rest is not sure....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:24 am

Hi!

I'd like to bring up the sound issue again . If you want to do silent cinema thats ok but then you need music that coincides with the action , a sound loop that keeps repeating continuosly is very boring. I reckon its a much more difficult job to write a good soundtrack then to come up with some atmospheric sound effects that can convey the same mood . Since something like 70% of our experience in a cinema is sound I think its fair to say that doing a good job on the sound is paramount. Please dont take is as critism because I love your mod and I want to see it succeed as well .
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:10 pm

Thanks!!! Very Happy i receive critics with understanding Smile

I think you are right about repeateting - i would not make it react to the environment thought [thats the feel i need] but it does need some way to rendomize the music so it does not go in loops, maybe a very looong loop or several songs that go in a raw Smile

Thanks, some more mapping is in progress right now, but i donno what will happen to the code....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:36 am

I for one was hoping that you would rethink excluding all sound effects, as I mentioned in the 'voice of the people thread'. I get the feeling your decision is pretty rock solid by now though. Great to hear that you are making mapping progress. Do you have any shiny new screenshots to share with us ivangraphics? Razz

I just thought of another thing, have you thought about making the outdoor part slightly longer? Or perhaps have another brief outdoor sequence? It's such a great and moody beginning, thats all. Also, has it been suggested to lower the gravity a bit more in the first map? I think bunny hopping the moon surface would be even more enjoyable that way. Very Happy

Btw, welcome Sloth Smile
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:51 am

-I will not bring the ambient sound effects back in Smile

-there are and will be more phisical reactions to events - heavy doors already shake the view on opening/closing contact Smile

-there will be breath and maybe some walk sounds heard from inside the suit.

-For low grav - the decision was that the game cannot be played properly with to much low gravity so we added extra weight to the suits Wink

-The demo gives only a teste of what full game will be so you cannot compleign about not having enaught outdoor environments Smile - there is atleast another episode with opened area.

-The game does NOT last only inside the courent station. It features atleast 4 basic locations when one is outdoor, one is the courent station and 2 more [not including outdoor again...].

-There is a plan for another more heavy vehicle to hover the moon, another small vehicle to be used indoors, and even well such small vehicle i canot mention Smile, also plan for such huge vehicle that you will be driving but it is... how to say it, so huge you cannot feel you drive it.... its a surprise it cannot be explaine but only showed... And also walking machine, realy nice one Smile you'll love it Smile

-regarding the screenshots - i cannot show them yet because it has lot of work to be done plus it brings me to the next thing:

-since from this point the mod is supposed to go into full scale production, there is basicly no ability to show its further content unless i deside different [ofcourse some images will leak].

-Because of the situation that there is no support from the community/industry/publicity both in meltal or physical way [excluding those few, i would say "ones" that actualy realy care about it - thanks guys] , mostly the coder issue. and because of Real Life [financial] problems caused by to much free projects [i was involved im more then 5 mod/game projects for last few years] i am considering of freezing the public activity of this project [and myself] from this point untill other annoncments.

I will reconsider the way of producing the project [as mod or retail game] and reconsidering the engine [depending if its a mod - what engine best, depending if its a game - what cheep/expeencive/self diveloped engine to use].

Me and my friend are working in a direction of small real projects which will be our first step in comercial projects of our own!!!, which success will give us technical ,mental and comercial/financial support and expirience.
I hope this will bring HM to life in some distant future. I do not see different option for this, but not as Spatial Fear 2 - this project will not pass into other hands! I don't like dumping projects to see what others do/undo with it.

But don't take it as official annoncment yet, the project is not stopped, the concept keeps being polished, the art is being done and the models being done - it is only a metter of where and when they will be implemented.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm satisfied with the answers. Everything you told us about locations, breathing sounds(yay!), vehicles etc sounds really exciting. I'm curious about what will happen with HM in the future because of the little cryptic info at the end of your post. I guess I'll just have to hold my breath until you reveal your plans.

Good luck with everything and keep up the good work! Smile
I'll continue lurking these forums...
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:26 pm

thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:00 pm

hi,
is it possible to download the soundtrack?
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:49 pm

Well no, there is no soundtrack for download but it depends if you tried the mod and just want to listen to this music hehe, then in ut2k4>hollowmoon>music - there are OGG files which get played by one of the new winamps so....

Now if you didn't play the mod - you not deserve to listen to the music only Wink - go and get the mod Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:19 am

ivangraphics wrote:
Well no, there is no soundtrack for download but it depends if you tried the mod and just want to listen to this music hehe, then in ut2k4>hollowmoon>music - there are OGG files which get played by one of the new winamps so....

Now if you didn't play the mod - you not deserve to listen to the music only Wink - go and get the mod Very Happy

yeah, it works, thx!
nice old vinyl-effect and a very nice opera-voice - who is she?
greets
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 am

I donno her name but check the intro credits.

The opera will be removed thougth due to legal stuff - i will use something i have in mind which is much much more cool Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:34 pm

more BRAIN FOOD

not much but better then nothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:27 pm

Very sweet looking as usual! Smile
Shots could have been a bit larger though...
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:26 pm

Didn't want to expose the details - no light sources and such stuff in yet so... Wink

View next topic
View previous topic