Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » UETF Chronicles
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:22 pm

Since we're focusing on the player experience, I thought this would be a good place for sharing War Stories. Since only the beta team has the current build, I think I'm the only one who will be posting on this thread for now, but hopefully we'll get some more posts once the next release is out. Please limit conversation here to stories and replies, and post the name of the campaign and the mission when you post.

Last edited by damaestrio on Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:23 pm

The first war story from my time in the UETF...

StormCenter is one of the most un-forgettable missions I've played. It's the last mission in "Atmospheric" and a fitting closer to a tough campaign.

"Our outpost high on top of the ruined capital city (BR-Skyline) has fallen under enemy seige. A sizable enemy force has surrounded the generator, making it impossible for our forces to break out. The Wrath has begun sending in attacks and it is just a matter of time before the defenses fall."

I was dropped straight into this mission without any sort of buffer. The Wrath attack force extended all the way to my starting base so the second I spawned spawn in I found yourself under fire by Hermes IIs and Orions. Thankfully, my marine support quickly chewed through our attackers and proceeded leap into battle around the generator.

There were sizable defenses around the generator, probably more than 30 automatic turrets, which were in full battle when our forces arrived. The vast majority of the fighting was concentrated at the point nearest to the Wrath base, where squads of Orions and Hermes bots would drop in. The constant attack was wearing away at the defense, including the sorties by the Wrath Pegasus flying bots, already destroying most of the outer perimeter turrets.

It was clear that the enemy forces would eventually wear down the defenses, so a prompt offensive to take out their spawn source was required. It would have to be a solo mission-my marines were incapable of making the jump to the enemy base, and already half of them had been cut down by the Wrath attackers. I leapt out over the gap between the skyscrapers, assault rifle in hand. I riddled a lone Orion defender as I touched down, spinning around to engage a group of Pegasi bots. I jumped down the access ramp into the interior of the Wrath base.

I immediately confronted a pair of defending bots, which I took down with my RPW. However, squads of new bots quickly appeared to take their place. I quickly realized my error in 1) selecting a laser rifle instead of a tag cannon and 2) in not immediately attacking the generator. The last squad of Hermes II overwhelmed me, and I died in a hail of chaingun fire. Spawning back, I quickly fought my way back to the generator, emptying my assault rifle into the structure which exploded in a large purple blast. Heavily damaged, I managed to escape back to defense perimeter around our generator, receiving much needed ammo and repairs.

The perimeter had been severly damaged by the Wrath assault, leaving only the inner assault turrets functional. Only a couple marines remained. Almost immediately after the destruction of the generator the Wrath attack suddenly intensified. Multiple squads of Mercury and Orion bots darkened the skies between our outposts. My upgraded weapons cut through most of them in midair, but their sheer numbers allowed a few to get through, their metal feet clattering over the burned out shells of their comrades.

Somehow between the supporting fire of the turrets and my weapons we managed to keep them at bay. A squad of supporting marines arrived, the sargeant wielding a huge UEM SAW, who bravely stood his ground at the bot's attack point. A full squad of Artemis II bots descended on our position, filling the air with rockets. Blasting away, we managed to destroy most of the squad, but the last pair got through. As the sargeant reloaded, the bot opened fire, killing him and blasting his body over the side. His heroic stand allowed enough time for me to reload; my assault rifle tore through the remaining bots and turned them into broken steel.

By now it was over; the bots continued their ferocious attack but their numbers were just too few. We cut through the last wave and claimed a hard won victory high in the upper atmosphere, our generator still intact and the bot army eliminated.

View next topic
View previous topic