Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Mapping
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:02 pm

Well I have been seeing many models having 5000-6000 polys and playing great in UT2k3 but now I'm hearing ppl making 3000-4000 polys and say that they don't want to go further? Is it me or aren't ppl ven trying the static meshes system?

uuh was there a fridays speak up topic? what about making this one then next?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:00 pm

better an answer now than never eh Wink

Altogether UT2003 can push around 60 000 polys in view (static meshes) and still maintain a good framerate, all depending on the system specs of course. One should also remember that every player model adds 3000 polys so if there are alot of open spaces where many players meet static mesh poly count should be a little lower. If you want to use many polys on static meshes you should also keep to as simple BSP geometry as possible. BSP is waaaay much slower.

One issue that comes with one single big mesh with alot of polys is the collision calculation. But every mesh should have a very simple collision hull so even the most dense meshes can have good collision.

/Magnus Olin
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:00 pm

thx man, didn't know some of that... hope more will optomize their maps after our Angel's new tutorial Wink

View next topic
View previous topic