Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Tournament Series
Juancho
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:33 am

Hi guys,

I've been reading up here and are a bit amazed about the fact that everybody has swallowed the bate from Epic without any thoughts.

Let me be more specific, since the release of UT2003, everybody was amazed by the new Unreal engine tech and how fast it was with all its detail and the karma addition made it even more sexy, a obvious choice to make the wallets thinner!
But with UT2004 it just doesnt feel right, yeah the Onslaught and Assault modes are great and fun, but in my opinion all the new characters and maps aren't enough to spend the fullprice it costs! It should have been an Expansion release instead. Not many will be able to benefit from the 10$ discount since it wont be available everywhere.

Now since i am a modder and would like to continue modding, the Unreal community is one of the largest comparing to others and i am forced to buy UT2004 anyway.

But i will stop if there is a UT2005 next year!

/Juan, roadKill chief
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:05 am

You're too cheap to shell out £17 for 50-odd new maps (most of them highly playable unlike UT2003's), four new sets of player models, many new weapons, two completely new gametypes (AS bares little resemblance its predecessor) and possibly the finest collection of vehicles ever assembled in any one game, *plus* all the content from UT2003, including bonuspacks?

Put this in perspective: Unreal 2 was £25-35 upon release.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:34 am

wel yeah. but theres not gona be a ut2005. there shouldent be a ut2004. but since they screwed up in ut2k3 they had to. UT wasnt supose to be a every year updated game like Fifa etc.

<Rachel> Razz
LeGoLaS_NL
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:46 pm

Cheetah wrote:
wel yeah. but theres not gona be a ut2005. there shouldent be a ut2004. but since they screwed up in ut2k3 they had to. UT wasnt supose to be a every year updated game like Fifa etc.

o ther will be a ut 2005, but not under this name i think...
they can make lots of money with this genre so they will keep bringen new games...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:00 pm

as you see, alot of people already sayed they will nto buy ut2005.. if there will be one.. so i dont think so.. but you never know Smile
i dont see what to improve in the game tho..

<Rachel> Razz
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:02 pm

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they'll bring out a UT2005. Several people from Epic have gone on the record as saying that they'll only bring out a retail UT game if they have enough new content. 9 months isn't enough time for them to produce that much content, even if they had enough ideas for what to put in it (Onslaught actually came from an idea from an outside source, and Assault of course already existed in a far inferior form).

:edit: was posted at same time as Cheetah's post

Last edited by SirYawnalot on Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:04 pm

tharts what im saying, if we get lucky a nice big bonus pack around X-mas. but no new game Razz

<Rachel> Razz
Juancho
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:11 am

Well,
there will probably be a UT2005 if Epic follows what they officially said when UT2003 came out and that it was a new breed in bloodsport type of game and that they were to follow EA's Sports franchise. And if you test navigating to www.ut2005.com you will notice that the domain is allready registered.

Well, buying ut2004 still feels like buying ut2003 with a lot of xtra content with one new gametype (Onslaught) since Assault is not really a new one only a beefed up version of the UT1 version. And it should have been in the UT2003 for starters!

As for the vehicles its more like a xtra mod anyone could have done.
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:58 am

They also registered unrealwarfare.com. Doesn't prove anything.

If it's a "mod that anyone could have done", why is it that not a single UT2003 mod used properly implemented vehicles? Let alone such amazing ones as came in UT2004?
Virt
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:53 am

I payed 30 bucks for my copy of the UT special edition. Come on, you can't be that cheap. Bombing Run and CTF would be enough for me to buy a 2k4.

And yeah, 2k4 was supposed to be the ut2003 everyone wanted. But think about it...with all the extra content, the headset, the DVD version of the game, the tutorials, plus all the original 2k3 maps? Please! This is worth every penny.

I love 2k4...

And guys? Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict = UT2005.

Are you down with the SCKness?!
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:23 am

/me ponders that for a second....

/me seconds that notion....

Virt
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:50 am

Raven wrote:
/me ponders that for a second....

/me seconds that notion....

That 2k4 is worth every penny, or that about UC2? ^_^;

Hopefully both. Rolling Eyes

Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:09 am

hmmmm... i diddnt have to ponder that 2k4 was worth every penny Smile i always knew that!

but the UC2 thing i had to think about for a sec...

in theory they could be releasing an "unreal series" game each year. i just hope that 06 comes with warfare Wink

Last edited by Raven on Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Virt
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:18 am

I think if they released a new UT series every year, the game'd become quickly like Lora Croft. Every few years, sure...just as long as the content is good.

Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:34 pm

I doubt that a UT2005 will come out as either a completely new game, or as an expansion-like version. We kind of knew that they had to do something when they shipped UT2003 without vehicles.

Frankly, I didn't feel one bit upset at spending $30 US (Yes, they were all DVD:SE versions) to get a game that had more levels than UT2003, better levels, better game modes, and in the case of the DVD:SE version, some hardware and a veyr cool and useful level editing tutorial DVD.

What I feel is interesting about this release is the eciting tutorials. I think that there will be many more people trying this stuff out and building maps to distribute online. While many of them wil suck, there will still be many that will be fantastic levels and more people learning the craft and becoming professional editors to build even better games.

So while some will say that it's just UT2003 and should have been free, I think that the games is already a tremendous value, anyone who bought UT2003 will get an additional discount (if they saved the contents of the box, like I did this time), and the majority of people I've read making posts feel that is has better gameplay than UT2003 had.

View next topic
View previous topic