Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Mapping
CraftyBarnardo
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:15 pm

Hello everyone, this is a pretty cool place.

I have experience mapping for the Half-Life mods using Worldcraft/Hammer. I started playing around with the Unreal editor today since I bought UT2K4 two days ago.

The reason for this post is to find out if anyone has the default map units taken up by certain entities, etc. For example, in Hammer, the player is exactly 64 map units high. Can anyone tell me how tall the player is in the UT world? Also, it would be helpful to know the max number of units in height that a step/wall/whatever can be before the player has to jump to get on it. Things of this nature would be helpful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time,
CB
Enock
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:41 am

Ok first thing off, if you bought the 2-disc version of 2004, then you need to copy all the VTMs (Video Tutorial Module) onto your computer. These are videos, with 2 guys walking you through the editor. They show you step by step and you see what they see. Also I'm not real sure about player height because some are taller than others. I do recall 32 in height is about where the player has to jump. The thing to do is, start making a test level and make a 8, 16, 32... stairs to see for yourself, because you can always go in between these numbers. It did mention in a VTM that 64 is just enough space to duck through, although some players heads will stick through the ceiling of it. So maybe 78, 84??? I do know that a 128 hallway is about the smallest you want to go, it will be tight and close quarters. A 256 hallway is breathable and a 512 is spacous. However the entire additive space of the editor is 65536 cubed to 131072 cubed. Which is actually bigger than the last editors space. Hope you enjoy using UnrealEd, its my pick for game developing.

Thanks ENocK>>>

Smile

Check out this site>>>
http://www.epicgames.com/UnrealEngine/Build633Tutorial.html
CraftyBarnardo
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:01 am

Thanks, but I found this, and it is what I was looking for. This would probably help others as well, and it was rather well "hidden".

All units are UEd3.0 units:

size of a character: 96 units (duck: 56 units)
minimal heights of a ceiling: 160 units (224 units for double* jump)
maximum height for a stair step: 40 units
jump in length: 256 units (with speed, 768 units)
double-jump: 512 units (with speed 1152 units)
combo dodge/jump: 768 units (with speed 1280 units)
jump in height: 64 units (with speed 128 units)
double-jump in height: 128 units (with speed 256 units)
maximum height without taking damages: 768 units
dodge distance: 320 units (with speed 448 units)
wall dodge: 448 units (with speed 832 units)
wall-dodge/jump: 832 units (with speed 1600 units)
vertical shieldjump: 512 units (with berserk 1152 units)
horizontal shieldjump: 1024 (with speed 1280 units)

I appreciate your response,
CB
Enock
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:10 pm

Nice, thanks, that clears up alot, and saves ppl time. I copy/pasted to notepad, thanks for looking out.

ENocK>>>
CraftyBarnardo
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:07 pm

Anytime sir...old habit. Laughing

Since WON is going offline for valve in a week or so, my HL servers will be switched over to UT2K4, so I thought I would get right into the mapping side of it since I already have a community request. LOL!

Thanks again,
CB

View next topic
View previous topic