Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Hollow Moon
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:51 pm

If you want to tell somehting regarding the last version, like stuff you didnt like alot or loved or just some thoughts that poped up while playing Wink be free to do it here or open new topic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:20 pm

First thing : i'm glad you found a coder, your mod is as i exected it to be Smile

I loved the intro. The scenes reminded me of old Sci-Fi movies (mainly Alien) and i found it was just a good idea.

The b&w thing, with the music, really gives a good immersion. The story appers to be good. I suggest reading some books like in Unreal1 to learn the story, but you may already have your means to developp the story. Maybe a small text introduction in the intro, explaining that Talos arrives on the moon with a ship that won't come back, etc... More or less what you put on your website, but rewritten.

Don't change the graphics, they rock. The only thing i didn't like was the weak humanoids tecture, but appart from that, black and white just makes things look amazing. Never saw such a thing in a game / mod before.

Keep on the good work, this mod is already one of my favourite.
Again, i hope i was clear. English is not my native language.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:58 am

Thanks, and yes there is background, i just thought not to provide any texts or such stuff to see things happen. but the plan is to have the intro have few shots showing that talos is alone on this outmatic ship and he does not succeed to estabilish communication Sad [Smile]

Voice act could be cool on the background hehe

"this is universe 15, talos davon calls europe2, please respond." ,,,,,

then some emergency sound will be heared. "talos davon's log: for 6th time europe2 does not respond, i assume they just have communication problems, i must start the landing preperations and process."

This ship mainly heads to mars from here, it has cargo and all needed [its outomatic] and you must leave it in time and all.

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:54 pm

Voice acting would be good. With some distortion (kinda stupid if mankind knows how to travel to mars. How could there be noise on the radio waves ? But it's like in the old Sci-Fi films, and i *love* old sci-fi movies (80s and 90s) ).
Either do that prologue with matrinee, or make a small level with a timer where the player has to go to the dropship. Make the timer long enough, it's just to prevent the player from losing the drop zone, but he may want to wander :p The spaceship could be empty, with a locked (or not, actually, it's up to you) cryo-room somewhere in the spaceship corridors.

And i thought the 'no crosshair' bug was not a bug. You should stick to this, and adapt difficulty to the fact that player does not know exactly where to shoot. I thought it was quite immersive.

Just imo ;p
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:01 am

Hmm the crosshair idea is nice Smile

Ok talking of the distortions- i see such cool cellular phones with video and music and lot of cool stuff but you still hear the other guy like his nose is blocked and with some "tssss" sounds and like in mono lol. they would better first make the sound be great on phones like reallife sound.

I think it symbolizes human nature - we dont invent stuff to improve life quality anymore - we do it to make more money Smile so the products quality or realy good purpose is actualy unstable.

Well up to the end of 80s it worked fine- we had quality products from japan and all Wink they where realy good and had very good technical support and guarantees Smile hehe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:01 am

Hey Ivan, loved your stuff since Spatial fear (Mosquito, here, to bad liquid element kinda liquidized)

Visually it is nearly perfect, I can sense exactly what you're trying to get across. The level, the intro, and the art is perfect, but the game lacks seriously and in many ways Spatial fear fell short:

The movement is uninventive, fast and out of character, in a big chunky spacesuit it doesn't make sense to be able to run around at a sprinting pace, with a new found coder you can change that. The weapon is laughable, unimaginable and extremely weak. The enemies are lackluster, appear way to quickly, practically retarded and extremely deathly. The reskinned glowing skraaji that fires glowing things with tracers just doesn't really fit, they're not scary, they break the flow, big glowing baddies really doesn't fit to well with the dark atmosphere.

With your lack of assistance I can completely understand these shortcomings, and I'm sure you're aware of them. I'd love to help out but I currently do not have the time.

Ivan, you're a wonderful visual designer, hollowmoon is a wonderful thing to walk through, but is a lackluster game.

I'm harsh because I know you can do incredible things, I've seen your work, and I have the highest of expectations.

Razz
Moz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:44 am

also, just as a random idea I just had, to really get the atmosphere, why not replace the player health with breathing sound effects? The heavier the breathing the more injured you are until you're nearly choking on your own blood.

^ see, ideas like that is what you need to really up hollow moon, new out of the box ideas.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:06 am

Thanks for the commnt Very Happy it shows the other side of the opinon Smile

Now already for effects on the list - there's not just breathing effect but the game should have slower motion indeed and theres to be an otpion for running in dangerous cases, so then you breath faster and get steam on yoru glass pluss heartbits Very Happy its all to be done in near future Very Happy

the aliens are very miuch not he way they planned - the shouldnt glow, they move slowly with very voliage movements, like allmost floating and they are white but materialisstic, monochrome withougth much details, and have no faces or anything but they have glowing eye on the side of the head which projects a lightspot very far, and when theres couple of those they like "detect" you when looking at you with their eye and your glass glows from the front light [like you know when you look at light source your dust glows] so mainly thats the target. Other aliens have spacesuit look and should have instead of faces a reflective round bowl, like you allmost can see who''s inside but you can't Very Happy

the weapon -no need to be imaginative, it should be not existing but beliveble, like real device, and weeknes was added near the end to make it more challanging - i think at some points it is challanging and you got to think abit in it to, especialy on the huga hall where most of huga guys are to avoid them in order to get your ammo supply, this required some sirious sthught on what to do and how to distruct the aliens with yourself to come behind the crates so you could charge your ammo Smile
plus there is alternative path to that huge hangar if your curious enaugh to find the more phisical path to avoid the fight Smile

Still i'm not a proffecional level designer and especialy game designer. I just learn. I must say this but everything you see, level design, concept, textures, models, players, weapon items, and all the rest accept code, was made phisicaly and conceptualy by one person. I'm to yong to run a full ime team as boss so im a boss of myself. whole concept of the game and plot [you donno it yet] is planned alone to.

I hope to run the oryginal ideas in the future to show the precice idea, but phisical reallife factor changed alot Sad, i allmost shut down the project if you remember.

Still i dont want to sound like cry baby heheh people dont care of details, they want results. Comphare the alpha beta1 and demo and see how we'r goming forward well Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:26 pm

No, I completely understand where your coming from, its very hard to get everything you want when you're the only one doing it. I'd love to help but I'm very busy these days. I might try a swing at voice acting, though, I don't think the main charactor should have any lines, just breathing and grunting. Whiling drinking and watching TV last night I got afew ideas, I'll send them to you later, right know I need to shower and eat.

cheers.
fuzzbunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:25 pm

hey,

i just finished playing through your demo... and wow.. this is truly going to be a beautiful mod. i was just amazed at how much time you put into making each room different... and how the pipes and wires are organized.... it really adds to the atmosphere... i also love the whole black and white theme.. o well.. you've probably heard allot of this already... o and i totally agree with the one guy... u should keep the cross hair out of the game..

there r some problems though... I really think u should change the xhuman... i wish you'd make him more ghost like and change the way he attacks.... well... i don't know the plot.. or anything about the story.. so i'll just keep my mouth shut about the enemies.....

hey... i'll edit this post later.. i just wanted to through some quick things your way...

got to go
Fujisawa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:49 pm

I suppose the most basic rundown for EVERYONE who has played this mod and loved it..

#1, congrats, you scared me sh**less sometimes.

#2, The black and white theme is great

#3, I loved the spooky sound effects, it gives me andrenalyn to shoot the enemies.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:34 am

Crosshair wont come, if you noticed we didnt include it in purpose in the demo sicne we got a comment regarding that after the beta1 Smile

we listen to the people like very much, but not to every single idea but to same idea if it repeats alot among different people [dont try now to repeat stuff in purpose Wink] but you understand what i mean - The most noticeble things is the monsters - they are just standard male guys with custom mesh, and i have to make it look like i ment it and not like it's just lame Smile [i guess especialy the space suit player's mesh used on the "other" aliens makes it most annoying Wink].

Regarding the gun - i got one or 2 comments that pople dont like it when more comments said its great - so here i will not consider doing anything about it accept adding another gun.

Mainly your comments, even negative help alot to see what and how impressed or annoyed people Smile and with all even most negative comments i see that in totall i fulfilled my plan - well plan one was reaching a demo stage which is a well polished mini game version which can easlily expand into a lager game rather then some unfinished beta which endlessly needs some polish or fixing.
And the seccond thing is that the concept actualy works, the mood works, there are no Aliens jumping from around the quorner or any bit of gore or "destroyed station" theme in the game, all works on very thin level of well considered things that trigger some emotions in player's head Very Happy Mostly work of mass[architecture] light and sound Smile

I feel kind of warm from all this Very Happy Cool Cool Cool Wink Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:52 pm

Tranquil U should feel warm!!

good for u and your team....

ya... i went through a couple more times just to soak up more of that tranquil space station. Razz i really love that black and white!!! it just... works Razz

o... i just noticed the detail put into the helmet Razz.... u can really feel the glare on the shield...

o... and plz do not release chunks of the game... i remember a mod that did that.. and well... i guess they got tired of making it and they left me hanging with out an ending.... Sad I can tell already that this going to have a nice story to it.... and a good book with out an ending.... thats just evil...

hmm... adding another weapon. well.... i like the fact that u kept it simple... how would u tie another weapon into the story? i don't know... i just like the fact that its simple... right now it feels like an awe inspiring trip for the eyes... with a little bit of a challenge to keep u from getting bored....

o... if u could reduce the grav a little... that would be kewl.... give it a more of "first man on the moon" feel.. (plz) well... no to much.... just a tiny float when u jump... i really think that would add to the feel of the game...

i also wish you'd keep the breathing out... its nice as it is... really quite... if u add a voice to the character or... anything of that nature... you’ll take away from the mystery of the game....

i don't know... you’re the one who’s making the game.. Razz so far I like it.... so I trust what you'll do with it Laughing
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:37 am

The additional weapon tides up well

This is huge facility and soon [round 2] you will find a security post. Mainly any arriving [people or those who justwanna enter or exit the station from any reason mast pass them [theres room where they sit and watch you trough glass Smile] so they surely have some light weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:23 pm

Xr wrote:

And i thought the 'no crosshair' bug was not a bug. You should stick to this, and adapt difficulty to the fact that player does not know exactly where to shoot. I thought it was quite immersive.

Just imo ;p

I thought this was a feature as well Razz

View next topic
View previous topic