fuzzbunny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:02 am

hey... keep us informed Embarassed

i'm really liking this mod...
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:04 pm

Sorry hehe im here Very Happy

i wanna post some exclusive shots [ill open new thead] of the seccond level which didn't get released since its incomplete Smile

stay tuned....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:38 am

they look nice... i hope u messed with the enemy skinz... -.-
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:58 am

People don't forget to write your username eigher if your registered or not Smile

Yes player skins.... well they don't glow for now, they are much more hard to spot now and that way more scary Very Happy

Enemies will basicly be remade [and player to] as soon as we get tot his part and get ourselfs carecter artist Very Happy

I will post some shots soon but for now you can go to http://www.planetunreal.com/ivangraphics and see some panoramic view photo and some new enemy shots Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm a new user of your great mod.
I really love it !
But the only thing who misses is 'a continue', like in the others adventure games (mario, crash bandicoot, red faction, ...) : when you die, you shouldn't re-appear at the beginning but closer of the point of your death.
Except this, this is really a great mod and I hope it will become a complete game ! Cool

PS : More weapons in the demo plz Razz
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:39 pm

Thanks and yes you restart at the beginning with all the way you left it before dying. This is temporarly added since we didnt want to annoy players by making them wait for the map to load and make them kill the same creatures again and again since there is no save game system.

Now the new game version will have much more deep but ballanced gameplay so you will not die to easely but will have quite some limitations which makes the game more challanging, just stay tuned for news.

We aim to hit he MSUC phase 4 but media will flow in between Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 pm

Ok ! Thanks !
Some others critics :
- the weapon is a tiny little bit powerless ... Rolling Eyes
- I don't hear the music during the game ... Confused Neutral
- The opening of the first door is so complicate (I spent 10 minutes !!!) Mad
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:35 pm

The weapon is worked out alot since then, and you will see that its quite usefull. I cannot tell its a "walk in the park" easy weapon, so youll have to work abit in order to use it right ,especialy withought crosshair Smile

there is no music during the indoor scenes since the ambient sounds are used and plays quite big role in creating the mood. Only the VACUUM scenes will feature music since there will be no sounds [no air in vacuum Wink] Such as outdoor scenes and allso the intro movie.

The first door - i guess you reffer to the round one, well there was a trigger which in the new version of the game has flickering light in order to attract curiousless people Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:40 am

Great game! The black and white is amazing and the level looks fantastic. Only things i didn't enjoy were the enemies, the speed and the gun. I see from posts above that you're dealing with the glowing enemies and you're taking the speed down a notch. As for the gun, I really don't like it very much. A weapon that weak shouldn't be so big and clunky, or maybe it should. I don't know. I just didn't like how it looked. But if you do anything, fix it so you don't find it hovering above the ground spinning.

Again, great game and I look forward to future releases!

Abe
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:37 pm

Hehe, for the next release, what we have completed - the enemies dont glow, they are better in speed and behaviour. the gun , it doesn ot float and rotate - only float but will fix that to.

the way it works - is very nice, i think, atleast now, the idea that its huge but quite weak is fine since its a tool that should work in closer range and you use it in distance. it should be powerfull for a scifi set of weapons, but most weapons will be quite todaylike but future models Wink + grenades and stuff, and this one will come as additional - basic weapon. it suposed to be upgradeble, so you find better lamps for it [yes it works on lams, like in old good days] you will get interesting and better results with that Smile.

And some other cool things to come, i just have the lack of fortune and the courent coder has lot of realife stuff to do and he only going to polish few basic things so i can have somehting workeble stuff to show. so i'm pretty stuck again with thsi stuff.

<<< Hollow Moon seeks for an expirience and entusiastic, and hard working coder Smile >>>

<<< Hollow Moon seeks for an expirienced moddeler who can also do skisnand animations but biped creation/rigging expirience is quite nessesary. so someone who done characters quite alot, and to model one or 2 guns >>>

Some interesting things i'd like to share, like for example i thought of moving the project to Half Life 2 engine and all cose its so attracting but then desided to stay with ut for now. i tried to use pisiques and all but this will remain basicly only for pushable objects just for fun and for few bonus things, not somehting major, and again, this mod purpose is to bring quite simple kind of gameplay on newer engine, sort of like doom but not like new doom, more opened, shooting kind of game but abit more advanced since the carecters think better then in old shooters and you need to consider some things like your ammo and health, if you go and charge first then contenue or how you run [theres walk/run modes]. you learn the enemies behaviour, not that its so complex but they have one. like for example, if they saw you once, you cannot hide anymore so be cearful to get your power echarged before he reaches you, allthought you can sneak on them very close and they won't hear you.

You will allways find the same enemies in different places abit every time you replay since they actualy like to walk around so don't expect to meet the enemies on same spots Smile

I think halflife 2 is great game but often its just to complicated, not that its hard but just complex, sometimes you want something slower and deeper and simplier to play with and enjoy the mood. I had some headakes while playing hl2, it was to much media and graphics and phisiques especialy on one head Smile sometimes returning to duke 3d or doom or shadow warior is like getting into the bed after hard day of work or studies Smile

Ok i talk to much AGAIN, i gotto go to sleep, lot of studies and work tomorow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:42 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Man I was a bitter guy. Rolling Eyes

I really like the direction of hollow moon so far and really looking forward to it.
Psychomorph
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Hi I have heard about Hollow Moon some days ago on the Infiltration forums (mod for UT) and got huge interested. I love the movie ALIEN big times and the footage gave me some alien impression.
I´m on low connection yet, so I only checked out the footage.

I like the whole idea. I like the helmet view.

@Movement:
I don't know how it plays, so sorry if I´m mistaken, but it seems to be a run and gun thingy.
I personally would prefer having it slow. Walk is standart, hold run to move fast. Stamina drop and weapon inaccuracy should increase when running.
Also beeing silent by walking should be a big level. Since the enemies can hear (paradox, because they is no sound Smile ) you should not run around, but be sure nobody is near you, to freely run.

@Weapon:
No crosshair is good, but what about if using sights of the weapon. Ok, if this is this plasma weapon, which seems to be a tool, has probably no aiming system, but like in softair games you can aim/look down the line of the weapon to better know where you shoot at.
You carry it at hip and point it forward, can shoot but inaccurate. Than aim the sight by a key and you can make accurate shots.
The hipped weapon position could be lower on the screen then.

Even if it sounds strange, but what about freeaim (moving the mouse will move the weapon independantly, only a but later the whole view turns).
I sugggest it just due to the reason, that the above named mod (which is a realistic military simulation) has freeaim and it is awesome to have a weapon hipped, flashlight enabled and to move the light beam freely around, exactly like you would do it in real life.
If HM will have a flashlight attached to the weapon it could add an immense feeling to the controls and navigation (belive me I know that Very Happy).

@Weapon Design:
I know it is a tool or somewhat, this plasma weapon, but anyway what I personally always hate seeing in Sci Fi games, are those huge boxes that are called weapons. I would appreciate the weapons beeing more lean and compact, something that can be carried easily on the body.
For example the movie Alien: Resurection, the black flamethrower was a good design and was not to huge, looked cool.
Something like this would be good I think. No trashbox that shoots plz, lol (not that the weapon in the game is a trash box, was just a slight exaggeration Very Happy).

@Music:
As I have read somewhere they is classical music. Nothing against classical music, but wouldn't it be better to implement some kind of mysterious, atmospherical sound? I imagine the movie ALIEN, where they discovered the derelict (the alien space ship), it was intensive and absolutely awesome.

@Sound:
No sound is interessting, but what about to implement a bit atmosphere by adding a bit sound to some situations.
Since this guy is in a space suit, it would be cool to hear the steps! Not clear, but a very hollow and silent 'buff', 'buff' sound, just enough to feel the game alive. If you run you hear it faster and louder, if walk, you hear it very silent.
The difference between the movement would give you a bit sensation and you could sense what enemies probably hear (if they do hear).

Also I would love hearing the breath (since in the space suit). When you run you could hear a louder and faster breath.

It's like in the space, a realistic game would have no sound, just what happens inside the cockpit and collision with the vessel create sounds, same here, hits and steps could create a hollow 'bum' sound and you could hear your breath and maybe the helmet interface avionics.

Again, sorry if I´m talking senseless things even without have played the game, but that were my thoughts seeing the 1st person behavior (which was the single thing I didn't liked so much).

P.S. @ Multi Player:
I know, it's a bit to early to talk about it, but a fun MP could be... fun. The Human against the aliens. The aliens could have an strange, interessting, inhumane hud helmet view.
And all that with low gravity jumping.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:07 am

Thanks alot for the comments, i am a huge alien fan to Smile, to be more accurate the first two.

First of all in order to talk about detailed stuff i sujest to download the mod [67mb] and play it because the movie is only to get first impression.

Seccond thing is that the mod basicly deals with conceptual way to present the game's world and less deals with unique gameplay, i admit its sort of old shooter which is not big problem with me since when i started playing games like Duke3d, UFO[rpg] and later games like Undying, the strongest thing that made me play them no metter how they played was the mood they created - they managed to make me feel like i live in there, like i've been there, and usualy sofisticated gameplay was oposite - an obstacle which ruined the "fun" - its realy personal thing!!!

I look at the games first as tool to take you to different world from the one you are in now, it can be different time, place or kind of world [fantasy or so], that is for me, even if i just walk in it and do nothing - just explore Smile then came the will of mine to make something plane and still fun like Duke3d kind of gameplay, maybe Doom but dont catch me on the word - people right away send me comments "why there is no shotgun" first of all its a demo and seccond thing who said i must copy those games.

What i noticed from several people's comments is that people got several feelings and assosiations from which i figured out that people got the exact mood i wanted to create which makes me happy, that was my goal! Smile Unique mood. thats all.

I try to avoid creating assosiative thoughts about the ALIEN movies in this mod since its been used so meny times in so meny games, especialy the realistic looking guns [not nessesarely real but real looking]and all the other "recognizeble" or classic tricks like particular music or sound effects or scenes [especoaly those where things jump on ou from behind], and what if you see the enemy lighter and standing in front of you and its look and the whole situation is just so unplesent that you already feel disturbed, why things must jump on you from darknes and from behind Smile

i realy love those movies but i try to make something else, another mood that often only several Russian movies succeeded to create, those moods are hard to explain so the mod is the media that should bring it to you Smile

I hope people enjoy from it, atleast get convinced they have visited the moon, maybe for real and maybe like trough watching some old mute chronicles movie or like those scary underwater shots from inside the sinked ships. Then you look outside the window at night and see the moon in the skies and think - damn, from all the games and movies - i see the surface of the moon right now with only the distance supperating between us - not some jungle or far galaxy set on tv or movie, but realy trough air and space but live Smile and it maybe feels unplesent - "its there watching you, you can allmost reach it" Wink thats the feeling i like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:39 pm

Finally I have played it.

Very good mod. Very unique.
I like the helmet view with the light effect.
The black/white view is very good, adds realism and mood. No sound makes also a good impression. The music is very good too.

Light, falshlight:
Are they flashlights on the helmet, because if you come close to things they get brighter. Maybe an artistic effect, but maybe real flashlights would be good, with a small light radius. Or flashlight on the gun.

HUD bars:
I think the HUD bars (the white) could be much more transparent (appearing grey) not to dominate the view. Informative, but not noticeable if you do not look at it.

Movement:
Maybe the walking speed could be slower a bit, and run also a bit slower. Probably not your main point on the game, but I personally hate it having an intensive atmospherical game and just to fly over a level like you just want to pass it. More explaration movement would be good (imo).
Thats something I disliked very much in Alien Versus Predator, such an atmosphere and than those flying over map.

Climbing the ladders could be made a bit more developed. No weapon when climbing, can look near 180° to right and left.

Vehicle get in effect:
If you get in the vehicle you should have a fade screen effect. Means, when you push use key, the view will fade black very fast and fade back fast to normal when in the vehicle camera view.
I think that would look more sleak.

Gameplay:
I personally would like have even less battle, but more mysterious exploration. Just my personal opinion.

Like someone at the Infiltration forums said: 'It would've rocked without the combat. More of a focus on the exploration and mystery behind it all.'
I absolutely agree on that. Ok, not absolutely without combat, but more of an intense exploration. Reading computers, and written messages (on walls, paper). Nothing new, but that would build more mystery and atmosphere.

Enemies:
I would like to fear the enemy. The dudes seem not dangerous. Less enemies, but fearful contacts. I don't mean horror, but make them more impressive. They should search for cover and fight intelligent, run to trick you more out.

Don't take my comment as critizism, but ideas and thoughts about the whole.
The mod has good movie feel, I like it.

And yes, as you said, it reminds me a bit on a russian sci fi classical.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:13 pm

Yeah sounds prety cool but all ends up with code when now i got no coder again. the vehicle fade effect is nice idea, flashlight -those we have now are close range lights, maybe there will be a flashlight allthough i start getting tired of them Smile.

The less battle -well some peole said its already to litle fight, so i found the golder middle Very Happy and your right it might be cool, i would even have no enemies at all but well we gotto have some Smile

The exploration also good point - in this version since there are no items i planned as bonuses i placed some exploration items in the "sicret" places - i mean those places you get if you are curious. so there are several notes which hint and add to the whole picture, especialy further in the game. Also there is one easter egg and another sort of sicret place, sort of easter egg but related to the game. Alternative path is also avalible in the game, i wonder if people found it withough cheating Smile

still most of what you said is nice, its sort of polish stuff, now i need coder Wink

View next topic
View previous topic