Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Hollow Moon
Psychomorph
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:51 pm

Thx. Oh and I forgot leaning. Leaning should be possible. Because they were one of the aliens which didn't saw me, I wanted to take a second glance at it and it noticed me, cuz I was stepping at the side out of cover.

Of course they have to be a bit of firefights, they is something goin on and that is not just your birthsday surprise, but danger.
Maybe it is good to make different kinds of gameplay, some levels have near no enemies, it's more of an explaration, the next one you are in an 'invested' area. It could be always a surprize, of not knowing what will come next.

I personally would also see a bit of mystery of the aliens. The one huge alien, with the glass visor and the lamp over the visor in the concept section, looks fascinating.
Could be interesting seeing sometimes the aliens doing weird things, that you do not understand, while they don't see you, cuz you sneaked up on them and hide in the dark.
Well, just a thought.

It is all coding work, hope you find a coder soon.

Oh, and the gameplay is not to underestimate, they are many players watching at how the control of the figure feels. I´m a real 1st person extremist (the helmet view amazes me allready, feels like beeing in a real suit). So I hope you will sometime implement a more realistic and dynamic behaving 1st person.
Kinda smaller weapons, better 1st person weapon position and bobbing.
Hmm, just a sidenote for the future Wink.

I´ll play it again, maybe will have moer to say. Overall nice to see something unique like this. Not only Counter Strike clones Very Happy.
I´m a huge fan of atmo sci fi, not the action movies, but 70-80's style slow paced, low CGI movies (ahh the good, old 'alien').

I remember they were a guy whos were making a mod for UT2004 alone (!), it was kind of a resident evil thingy. Have to check it out again.

P.S. Hey maybe I have a better get into vehicle idea. If the vehicle is one of those like in the demo, with the camera, you could have a camera distortion effect. Means if you go to the vehicle, push use key, the view will fade black, than instantly snap into a distortion (like the TV, when nothing receiving they is this black white distortion), this distortion would than fast disappear and you have a clear image. Sometimes you could have slight distortions when driving the vehicle, just to make some interesting effects. If you crash into something, slight distortions could be also the 1st person effect.
What about a 'zoom in' feature of the vehicle camera, cuz those space cameras have zoom I guess. Not a fluid zoom, but stage zooming.

P.S.2 I also like the very simple and reduced loading screen. Not important, but thats just my taste Very Happy.
AVP had a similar thing, simple and dark menues, that gave the game a serious, professional and gloomy style.
I don't like those colorful pockemon screens, lol.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:06 am

Next level called Quarantine - first part is mostly exploring and well unplesent. Then later maybe some fight...

The enemies and i do not use the word aliens since its not exacly known for now, the ones in the concept art are realy huge and unplesent and they will do wierd stuff but not to wierd, its kinda hard to explain...

And loading screens - yeah that was the thought, it was more loaded and then, what the hell i dont want to make it to informative - more preparing Smile only background and name of the episode Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:15 am

Hello ivangraphics and everyone else. I played through the v2 demo a couple of times and thought I’d drop by with some feedback.

First of all, I want to say wow man! I haven’t seen anything quite like this before. Going with black & white throughout is genius. The spacesuit and vehicle HUDs are amazing and the level atmosphere chilling. You’ve heard it before, but I don’t think there can be too much thanks and praises. I actually felt like an excited astronaut at first, but it didn’t take many minutes before the desolation and music gave me goosebumps. (I loved the spooky scripted sequence as you start descending and hope to see plenty of them in the final release Smile ).

The intro is beautiful and the choice of music perfect IMO. I really enjoy the song playing during the outdoor part as well. I’d really like to hear more tracks like that. The lack of sounds make sense and adds to the feel in the beginning, but as soon as you enter the base it felt too empty. I’d love hearing your own breathing sounds and heavy footsteps. And imagine standing still listening to a dead silence, after the echoes of a mechanical door closing tight behind you comes to an end. It’s not only the sounds, but also the contrast between sound and silence that I miss badly. Ambience music is fantastic in certain areas, but sounds (and the lack of sounds) would make it eternally more immersive and scary in my humble opinion. This is by far HMs biggest flaw in my book.

I also agree that fighting could occur even more seldom. Having no enemies at all would be boring, but since combat is pretty basic you don’t want to get fed up too quickly. HM seems to be about exploring and feeling disturbed anyways, and I usually find the moments between encounters the scariest (tension building and imagination is your friend). I’m not a big fan of futuristic weapons either (I prefer the old fashioned projectile ones) but that’s just a matter of taste. The welder thingie serves it’s purpose though, and it will be fun to search for alternatives.

I don’t want to step on your feet, but this is what the thread’s about after all. Kicking ideas around and venting opinions. But in the end, you’re the artist and I’m just someone with a big mouth. All in all, this is one of the most original and exciting mods I’ve ever seen. The demo made me hunger for more. Keep up the excellent work!!! Very Happy

Last edited by Ash on Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:20 pm

That's why its caled VOICE OF THE PEOPLE Very Happy

Thanks alot for your comment, and please all of your comments are welcomed both bad and good, and i must say some of your considerations will be taken in count, atleast those that repeat alot Wink

Check out for other treads for news Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:31 pm

I agree, at first no sounds seems cool and stylistic, but then it gets kinda dull after a while. It needs some sounds, any at all. A door, breathing, just anything. and more music
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:57 pm

will be breathing Smile, and doors shake the view [heavy doors] Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:24 pm

if fighting is going to be seldom and slow at least add some strategy or puzzles. Like trying to find a switch to drop some containers on a bunch of baddies.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:20 am

The design of the game mechanism is in progress, well basicly it's invented now it need to be integrated, i'll get into it's details later but it will make it more playble. i can say that being heavy machinery engineer will be used alot to interact with the world and the enemies and will be main thing. About action - it will not base on action but it will have some of from time to time depending how you choose to play.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:08 am

Love this mod man, keep up the good work.
OrzMarine
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:40 pm

I was getting my car washed today and was flipping through a PC Gamer that some one left and found out about your mod. I love old 1950s SciFi movies and since your mod looked like it I decided to give it a try.

Wow.

The lighting--the glare on your faceplate--is very nice. On the first level I just felt so alone...and when I saw the suited figure running at the bottom of the ramp (first level) I started running after it. It was a great effect.

The music is pretty creepy and an excellent touch. If you could add breathing I think that would do it, because you always hear breathing in suits. But it might not go with your style.

Finally, is there a save game feature or will there be on?
OrzMarine
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:44 pm

I just noticed this, but having static in the intro piece I thought was a good touch. This is the only point of the mod so far where you have contact with other humans (with the mothership) and then when you're alone the music is clear. I just thought that was neat.
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:55 pm

thanks for the comments Smile

lot of changes ahead, and yes sort of old scifi inspiration is here Wink

there will be insuit sounds litle bit...

music and no sound fx on vaccum zones, ambient sounds and no music in air zone.

shaking on heavy doors both places.

for savegame - well trough all coders i had none wanted to mess with the savegame hehe. i assume that the savegame system is still broken somehow. acording to what i saw in Eden Eclipse - they had this episode loading system which is nice. since Hollow Moon was heading toward the more old shooter style each map would be like new in meaning of items and health [all reset] like doom - so it would work well with that system, but now when im thinking of fundamental change for the gameplay, i would need all info transffered from map to map and all Smile ill see how it goes..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:13 pm

I watched war of the worlds movie lately - the new one, so the part that made me feel hollowmoonish was that part when that hl2 like looking 3 legged thing first uppeared - the shot when you see it on the horizon only shadowed, the one glowing eye, the water comind down and the steam - and that sound of FFRRRRRR... that was amazing - thats the feel that inspires me for HM Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:18 pm

Wassup.

I just registered, to say what a f'in AWESOME mod this is. I downloaded it after reading a short bit about it in PC Gamer, and was instantly in love. I beat the demo earlier today (2 short levels...which I loved very much). The first 5 minutes were probably my favorite though - the feeling of absolute loneliness, the creepy music, the black and whiteness...

This mod is so atmospheric...I'd take the short demo over Doom 3 any day. Oh, and another great thing was the little note lying on a box that you had to push the barrel out of the way first to read it. I missed it the first time (pushed barrel the wrong way) but played the demo through again just to read that tiny clue about what the hell was going on.

In future versions, you should keep adding small clues like that so the player gradually finds out more about the game.

Overall, this was awesome. PLEASE don't discontinue this mod...I'd love to see more levels, weapons, monsters, and feautures. I wish I had an skillZ to help with..heh...which I don't Sad (except Photoshop...I can make website layouts fairly well...so if you ever need a new revamped website or something just ask Wink

Well keep up the awesome mod, and thanks for making it!
Cheers!
ignition
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:59 pm

THANKS yes those notes - there is another one in that level Wink

View next topic
View previous topic