Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » UETF Chronicles
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:34 pm

Ok, for the 3rd time now Smile Welcome to the UETF Dev Journal. This will be the way I can let the community know how stuff is going, plus I'll throw out ideas that I'm thinking about and get your feedback. Check back here for the absolute latest in UETF changes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:46 pm

So here's the update for everyone whos interested:

We did make the MSU Phase 4 deadline. The Addendum on Chapter 1 isn't quite polished yet, and we'd like to put some new content (discussed below) before we do an official Chapter 1 release. So hang for now, I'll be releasing information and media on Chapter 1.

Current project (which may take about a week or so)-player models. Pretty much the LAST thing keeping us from being a TC. So we're working on finishing that up. As always, keep it posted for screen shots.

Ok, now the think-tank. I've been considering a few things to add in to improve replay value/play in general. Here's a few ideas, I'd like to hear your feedback:

1. XP mods-further rewards for performance in combat-When you execute a particularly impressive feat in combat, you will be rewarded with an XP bonus-for example, executing a penetration shot will give you a *3 bonus, or a extreme long range shot with the assault rifle may net you a "snipe shot" * 2 bonus, or bonus points for "rampages" with an automatic weapon.

2. Unique weapons-after achieving a very high mastery in a weapon (maybe 500 + XP), a UETF soldier will be awarded with a unique weapon. This weapon will replace the standard weapon, have a unique skin, and will have a randomly generated set of bonuses (larger clip size, damage, higher fire rate). These bonuses will be randomly generated, so for each profile you will end up (if you play all the way through with each weapon) a set of 9 unique bonus weapons.

3. Unique NPC unlocking-your mission points can be used to upgrade or unlock more NPCs. These will be "purchased" using mission points-so you could purchase better armor or grenades for marines using mission points.

4. Performance bonuses-Your performance in combat will be inherently passed to your cybernetically modified body. For example, taking intense damage will result in a "meatshield" award that causes your body to better absorb damage (damage taken decreases) or intense use of specials grants a "bio-energy" bonus that causes your special meter to charge faster.

Just a few ideas. Let's hear some feedback!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:41 pm

1. XP mods - not sure on this one. I mean, there's already a lot of potential power in weapons from the upgrades alone; adding more power to the weapons through combat performance would basically be overkill, imo, especially if you have teammates (humans or bots). I admit that it's a good idea, but something would need to be done about the balance. Too much power put into weapons would just completely remove the challenge.

Perhaps put this XP into something other then adding power to the weapons? Maybe a temporary special that you could call on to aid you in some way that isn't going into the weapons... perhaps a temporary forcefield that the player can take cover behind? Would be a one-time thing per feat. You could get it again for doing another impressive feat, but there could be a limit where you could only get the use of each special once for every 4-5 waves. Obviously there'd need to be more specials, but perhaps which feat you get is determined by three things: which class you are, what wave you're in, and random chance.

Thoughts on this?

2. Unique weapons - I like this idea. Would give the player some goal to reach once all weapon upgrades have been achieved. Obviously they'd have to work hard to acquire the new weapon, and that is a good thing. I, for one, would enjoy seeing the return of some of the FEBA weapons; that said, there is certainly room for brand new weapons.

3. Unique NPC unlocking - this is a very good idea. I, for one, get sick of the same old NPC marines backing me up all the time. Some variations in them would be an absolute relief: different weapons for each, and perhaps even faces (a few)? Perhaps with this you could throw in a few things for the marines to use that the players can't. Some sort of support suit or weapon?

4. Performance bonuses - definitely some potential here. Can't think of anything to add to what you've said, but I'll post anything I think of.

For whenever more missions are created: definitely need some unique objectives, and perhaps some flexibility in the wave system of the Wrath. In some maps with extremely important objectives, what if some immensely powerful Wrath defenses were put into use? Obviously several Wrath guards, but what about defense turrets and shields that the UETF needs to disable before getting to an objective?

Also, what about some incredibly memorable mission locations? A Wrath ambush of a UETF supply convoy that you have to go rescue; an operation to take control of a shielded Wrath station orbiting a sun; a mission to take out a new Wrath prototype on a remote planet after getting through a blockade in orbit; etc, etc, etc. With the UETF there's all kinds of crazy missions that could be created.

Gametypes- I dunno what you devs had in mind for this. Obviously there's the mission gametype and maybe some classic MP gametypes... but did you guys have anything new cooked up for us fans? Guess we'll have to wait and see. Wink

Lastly: a big thank you for helping to keep the SP side of the UT series alive. Don't see many mods put work into a good SP factor much these days. Sad
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:35 am

Whoo..hee hee. Like the feedback! First, a quick explanation on XP mods-they wouldn't increase the power of the weapon, it would just give you XP faster-so you would get double points (don't know if this was clear). This would be useful for unlocking the uniques (need mondo points for this).

Great comments on the missions..we have lots planned..and the Chapter 1 Addendum just may Wink embody some of the ideas you were talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:38 am

Ahh, okay. Now I see what you mean. I thought you meant that you'd get extra damage power or something when pulling off a feat. Yeah, that would make sense. Getting bonus XP for that certain kill or hit is a good idea.

EDIT: btw, you may want to fix the "Journal" link on the UETF website so that it reflects the forum change. Wink
ivangraphics
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:45 pm

Talking of TC - shouldn't TC use all unique content?, all of ours static meshes and textures are actualy ut stock ones.

Maybe i donno something :0
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:38 pm

Thing is, creating all new static meshes and textures would take ages to do. Take a look at the UETF maps in the current release. There's a lot of work that would need to be done on new static meshes and textures just to complete those few maps.

I say just stick with the stock UT2k4 static meshes and textures and create new ones only when needed...
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:57 pm

Shh..Ivan. I'm going to quietly phase out all the textures and statics one by one in subsequent releases. I figure by about 2020 we'll have them all replaced Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:03 pm

A realistic goal :p
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:23 am

Our First Test Character Model Render, the Commando! UETF soldiers are bio-augmented with synth-muscle, which is the black fibrous material you see on some areas. Keep in mind this is an unfinished work. The artifacting you see on the left arm will be taken care of in the final version. The head is currently being borrowed from a 2k4 character and the helmet from the UETF marines,it still needs some more accessories and the skin still needs a little tweaking (oversaturated currently), but it should give you an idea of what we're going for.

-Maestro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:51 am

Hey guys i don't need uetf to be all custom, i just rised the idea of TC, the meaning of it all new content hehe, i guess, unless im wrong and tc means new gameplay content not visual Surprised

i like it the way it is hehe

Hollow moon uses all new content, and few other mods use all new content they are surely TC's Very Happy
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:49 am

Not quite dead yet. Beaten and down yes, but I think we still have a pulse. For over 9 long weeks now I've struggled and died in my various academic commitments, but pretty soon, that will all change. UETF Chronicles will now, extremely tentatively put a release date for the next version, of January 8th, 2005. This version will feature a completely different kind of gameplay from Chapter 1-in fact, it will NOT advance the storyline. This would be equivalent to the conventional "multiplayer" component, had we been designing a normal game. In reality, this will be the fast and furious UETF that players can jump into and play for hours, the way that you can play round, after round, after round, of Halo 2, Counterstrike, and other games so addicting they should be banned from normal consumpution and smuggled into the US via cigarboats and private airplanes. So keep your bookmarks posted here-things are about to get interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:32 pm

Good to have you back. Looking forward to the next UETF installment.
damaestrio
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:51 am

Here's a few tidbits on the upcoming release:

No continuation of storyline (for this release).

No new maps (as planned of yet).

Integration of existing UT maps (remember the older versions of UETF?).

New campaign + gameplay mechanics.

Onslaught maps will be integrated into gameplay.

And, as always, more ways to play and co-operate. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:45 pm

Sounds good. I liked being able to load up any map in FEBA and play it back in UT, and any CTF map in the UT2k3 versions of UETF.

View next topic
View previous topic