View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Mapping
Dreamchaser
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:21 am

I found a way to convert terrain from maps on an old favorite Battlezone 2
Combat commander by Pandemic to UT2004.

My first map after getting the scale right is huge compared with most UT2004 maps I have seen. 64kx64k Uunits 8k Uunits high.

This is just one single box with terrain 3 layers of textures and ONS objects

Without optimizing and occlusion this map will be laggy on many lowend computers

For some reason fog settings are resulting in HOM instead of just clipping distant stuff at fogend setting. So if I set fogend beyond the map it defeats the purpose of the fog to reduce graphics loads.

Also if I use a sky box and set the fogend too short then the skybox takes over displaying where the fog left off.

Should I make the skybox the same color as the fog?

Also I have not yet mastered Occlusion.

Because I only have one box I choose a large sheet and the antiportal button.
I made sure the antiportal was touching the bottom of the box and set the top of the sheet brush inside a small mountain range to occlude anything behind it.
Using romode 1 in the console does not make any occlusion viewable.
I would like to use antiportals but I need a way to confirm they are working so I am not working blind.

I can provide a link for my map if you would like to see it.

Making a map look good in UT2k4 is the greatest. I have never seen this much flexibility in a map editor,,,, just incredible!!

Somebody please help out this noob, who caught the UT addiction,,,,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:06 pm

for the fog hom thing...add a skybox and in the skyzoneinfo set it so it has the exact same fog as you have it in the playable area...that should work...I think...

for antiportals I always thought they had to be made out of a cube instead of a sheet? you could always make the antiportal have a thinkness of 2 if you need to be...keep in mind though that if an antiportal does not occlude a lot then it will hurt performance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:28 pm

I have sought advice from several others and it seems any subtracted box this size (65k x 65k x 8k) is going to be difficult on the engine in UT2004.
This is being worked on in engine 2.5 and 3.0 from what I understand, but this all boils down to computer performance.

The 2.0 engine seems to be able to do almost anything I ask of it as long as my computer can handle the task.

So based on the advice I have been getting I am going to put this map on the shelf for a few months.

It works well but not with some computers.

Yes the skybox fog addition does well and seems to double the thickness of the fog. This is a usefull effect for some maps.

I did get the antiportal volumes to work, but like you say too many of them and it defeats the optimize intended.

Thank you for your respnse
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:07 am

why dont you just resize it?

View next topic
View previous topic