Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
darkblackcrow
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:32 am

Hi,

I am new heere and just wanted to say hi. My name is darkblackcrow, but most people call me [dbc]. I am relitively new to PC gaming although I have been playing with PC's for years, and I have also been playing consoles for years, so that is kind of ironic. I recently ditched all my consoles (all 9 of them) because I have been enjoying PC gaming far too much and they had become laden with dust. Why is this? Why this sudden change?

Twisted Evil Unreal Tournament 2004 Twisted Evil

Yes, that's right. I was over a friends house and he was playing UT2K4 when I arrived, I saw it and fell in love. Since then I have built up a collection of hardware and FPS games to rival most, and more major hardware upgrades are planned for the net 12 months, just to run UT the way it was meant to be.

I enjoy playing games such as Half-Life 2, Painkiller, Call of Duty, Far Cry etc. but it is UT that is pushing me to want to play more at better and better benchmarks and settings. Having been spending a lot of time over at PCGameWorld Forums recently, and having been a forum moderator before, this feels natural to me so my apologies if this is unusual or longwinded for you guys, but I do like to make a first impression (albeit a long one). Anyway, from there I found my way to the main UnrealOps site and have spent all night reading the reviews, features and interviews and am very impressed overall; so I thought I would check out the forums too.

Anyway, that's just my little introduction and I hope I can sqeeze in to my little corner of this forum and post some interesting topics and responses too.

Thanks for listening to me all this time, please, as they say in the US:

"Play on boys!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:57 am

Well, hey there! I'm the long missing staff member Dragon Rage, who'll be making a return to the main page shortly. I do news and moderator work. Hope you enjoy your stay!

darkblackcrow
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:02 am

Thanks Dragon Rage, I am sure I will. Were you absent for a reason? What can we expect to see when you return properly? I noticed these forums are a little quiet, judging by the dates of the last replies; is it always this quiet? I wasn't expecting a response for a couple of days!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 am

I've been insanely busy in college - a lot harder than I was thinking since I decided to take Japanese this semester as well as Calc II-A, Comp. Lit, and Computer Science III. I came in with a ton of credit hours and so I'm waaay ahead of the typical first-year. I was expecting my first year to be a bit easier, but it's not. I'm going to be done with my finals on this Thursday, though, with one exception on the Monday after next. I should return sometime this week. Wink Keep your eye on the front page.

darkblackcrow
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:13 am

Excellent, I will. Good luck with the rest of your courses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:03 am

unfortunately yes these forums are quiet most of the time Sad

we only have like 20-30 active members, and thats kinda depressing when 1/3rd of them are staff.

btw I'm also a staffie, Teh names Raven but most people just call me Rav, or R, (my clan calles me Birdy or Turkey)

oh speaking of that... i'm gunna have to edit my siggy.... keep forgetting about that

darkblackcrow
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:29 am

Hi Raven. Thanks for the intro. I know what you mean about slower forums seeming depressing, coming from a deviantART background the forums are manic, blink and you have missed it, but then on PCGW forums, there are only a few "active" members and a few passers by who just want help. I will certainly post here if there are to be responses, you never know, it might catch on...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:44 am

Welcome I hope you like your stay. I am UO's Thursday night/Friday night poster. Feel free to post here anytime. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned. And hopefully you can get something started. Thanks for the complements and we will make sure to keep hard at work! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:47 am

Excellent news! Yeah, I really liked the articals I read; they seem very open, honest and knowledgable. I like how the site is layed out and how the whole thing ties in without going overboard on style. The people here seem, at first glance, like a really cool bunch and I think I will enjoy my time here.

So, what are the forum rules on swearing etc? I rarely swear myself on forums (having said that, I just have on here) but I do in real life. Why is that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:53 am

I don't mind swearing the only real taboo is talking about Warez software. We have some guys from Digital Extremes pop by from time to time and I think it is disrespectful to post about stealing software since it is their lifeblood. Other than that pretty relaxed. I have only edited one post for swearing as on today.

BTW I swear a lot in real life but rarely swear here for some reason to. Beats me why.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:57 am

Weird isn't it? I totally agree though, stealing software is wrong and I never do it. If you want it, fork out the meesily couple of bucks for it for Gods sake.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:14 pm

Yup. Pretty much don't drop the f'bomb unless it's totally necessary. Be reasonable, and don't talk like a twelve year old counterstrike player. Heh.

Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:27 pm

lol Very Happy

kinda like Angel Mappers post today in my "adults need elementary school english classes" story Very Happy

darkblackcrow
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:44 pm

Hehe, I know what you mean. I am nearly always polite and somewhat formal on forums for some reason anyway, but every forum has different rules and it's best to know where you stand anyway, even if you have no intention of getting anywhere near where the boundry could start...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:13 am

Sup, my forum name is alpha, as you can see.

I used to post frequently here, but I dont have much time nowadays.

I still have the title of being "the underworld god of spamming" though Smile

Cheetah will never take that away! Wink

Although a small community, its a great one Smile

I used to "work" for epic/atari/de, moderating their irc chatroom on etg, until I realized they could care less. They barely even frequented the channel. And mouser (who frequented the channel), an epic employee I think, went mia/got fired/got rehired...god knows what.

I created the ultimate faq guide for ut2k4, which can be found here:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410870

it used to have 30,000 page views till I deleted it/reposted it.

View next topic
View previous topic